I was thinking this morning about how I wish that the long weekends could be recorded and replayed over and over again. That would be nice, right? Fun, on demand and at our fingertips. But then I had to remind myself what I always tell the kids.
*using my best motherly, nagging voice"*
“We can’t do fun and special things EVERYday, otherwise they wouldn’t be EITHER fun OR special. They’d be boring and ordinary.”
I think it’s the same with long weekends. If we had 3-day weekends every week, then soon we’d become discontent and want more. Now, I’m not saying I’d turn down an extra day of weekly R & R. But I am saying that I know myself and I know what’s in me, what’s in us - greedy selfishness and earthly discontentment. We were born possessing these sins.
All that to say: We had the BEST weekend!
Just a few highlights (in bullet point form for my sanity, of course):
- Yummy Mexican food on Friday night with the in-laws.
- Errands with my girls on Saturday morning.
- A baseball game for the boys.
- A SUPER fun Saturday night dinner at my parents with extended family that included a little late night swimming for the kids.
(My cousin Mary with the kiddos.)
- A final Sunday morning performance by our 3 Little Cherubs at church.
- J’s homemade kid wash creation and MANY hours spent outside on Sunday afternoon/evening.
(Killing time in Home Depot.)
- Grilling with J’s parents Sunday night.
- Breakfasts on the front porch 2 out of 3 mornings.
- A whole afternoon swimming and sunning by the pool yesterday.
- An ice cream dinner at bedtime to cap off the wonderful weekend spent with this guy and our crazy monkeys.
Gah. I just love him.
How about you? How was your weekend?